Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Promo Codes, Coupons, and Sales

Tyler and I are avid deal shoppers. We get a thrill out of not paying the extra markup and driving down prices as low as possible. See, we really like stuff (admittedly usually nice stuff) but we also are obsessed with saving money everywhere possible, the combination of which equates to serious deal hunters. No, we don't barter prices at stores, that doesn't work here in the US. But we love the internet and use it to find what we want for a price we want. (You remember the camping gear post?) We are at the point where we won't buy something for full price. For example, before we buy anything online, we google "promo codes" for the store, scan the first few sites and see what comes up. It's surprising what kind of deals are out there that are available but kept secret unless you hunt. Today I bought some shirts for me and shorts for Cam on gap.com. I picked some items that were already a good deal on sale, tried them on at the store to be sure I liked them (where they were more expensive), and then found a promo code that got me an extra 25% off! I got three shirts and some shorts for Cam for $43 including the $7 shipping--Cam's shorts were even a splurge at $15 but they are those so cute patchwork plaid shorts that are so popular). See, I want that $55 shirt but I much prefer to pay $17 for it. And I like to get the $29 shirt for $7. Also, Tyler has as one of his internet tabs set to a website called Steep n' Cheap that has really good deals all day on outdoor items. Yesterday he got a really cool swimsuit (to replace the one he's been wearing since HIGH SCHOOL!) for $20 instead of the $50. And during swimsuit buying season like right now that is an awesome deal. And last winter he got a really warm and COOL looking North Face coat for $100 that is normally $330. Example 3: by the time we sell Tyler's old textbooks online and buy new ones online, we usually don't end up spending a net amount of more than $30 a semester! We have even sold books for more than we bought them for. I could go on forever about these things but I say never be satisfied paying full price; look until you find the product you want for the best price possible. It really pays off if you do your homework! Also, it's one of the many ways we SAHMs are worth tangible dollars even when we don't work.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Curt does the exact same thing with looking for deals of the day, promo codes, etc. His mom is also the coupon queen, so I've been taking lessons and learning lots of tricks to save money. It's amazing how much you can save just by putting forth a little effort! Why would anyone pay full price for anything?!

The Mom said...

That is so terrific that you can find such great deals. Way to go!
I am really impressed with the purchases that you refered to. It is an important way for you to help with the money...by really saving money on the things you buy.
Good girl!!