Saturday, May 2, 2009

New Lives in Alabama

Here are a few pictures of our new lives in Alabama. It is beautiful and so green here! I love it! Where the landscape is untouched it is definitely a jungle--it reminds me of Hawaii even. Every evening after Tyler finishes work we get dinner at either the food court or dining hall (free meals are part of his pay) and then we usually go on a walk or something nice in the beautiful evening air. And I have to say the humidity is perfect right now and must be good for my skin. Quite a change from Utah! Here are a couple of pictures of one of our first walks. Here's a shot of Cameron and the red Alabama soil.

Below are some shots of the campus. It is beautifully kept. The buildings are all after the same fashion as the one below, colonial with large white pillars. And the grounds are fabulous which is a credit to the company Tyler works for. (Remember he is working for Sodexo, a large facilities management company that takes care of outsourcing for other institutions, such as this campus, and does their new construction management, landscaping, custodial, and food.) There are rose bushes in bloom all over campus. I hear the magnolia trees are next!
We want to take advantage of our time here and have plans to go see lots of nearby cities as well as enjoy what is right here. Here we are at a free spring band concert (don't mind my weird face). Tyler says this university has a famous Southern-marching-band history. They were very good.
And here we are the next night at one of their baseball games. We didn't get to stay long since Cameron wanted to run around, but it was fun for a bit! Here is a shot of the outside of the apartments we live in on campus. We are surrounded by single people but so far everyone is very nice and we don't have too much trouble with noise or anything like that.Here are a few shots of our place. They are nice and not even two years old. Truth be told, they are probably nicer than where we live back home! They are the newest apartments/dorms on campus so we are very lucky to have one of them. Plus, they are free so who can complain about that? They have four rooms and two bathrooms but we don't need them all so we have closed off one of the wings. And we only brought with us what we could fit in our car so it is sparse. Our front room. No TV yet! Kitchen. No stove or oven as you'll notice so we mostly eat out on campus. No worries, we're controlling ourselves!The wing we do use. (The wing we shut off is a mirror image of this one on the other size of the kitchen/front room.) Vanity area and toilet and shower room.Cam's bedroom.Our bedroom. Like the two singles pushed together? And we didn't bring a full comforter because we figured it would be warm anyway.Here is Cameron on his favorite play surface enjoying the view. The TV stand is acting as a toy cupboard.
We are loving it so far and I will continue to update my blog with our adventures. Today we are going to the zoo that is about an hour away in the big town nearby!

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

Looks beautiful and like lots of fun! What a fun summer adventure!

Marissa said...

it looks like you guys will ahve a good summer!! i wonder hwo far we are from yougusy..we will be in houston...

Holly or James said...

what's the big town nearby?
-james

The Mom said...

I am really happy to see the pictures of where you live now. It is very green and lush. Very beautiful campus too! I love it! I am happy for you that your apartment is so new and spacious. Great tour of your place,and I really compliment you on being such adventurous folk! Way to go!

Holly or James said...

What a great post! You guys are so lucky that you're staying in such nice dorms. (: How fortunate! Also, it's so great that you guys are taking advantage of EVERYTHING the area has to offer. So fun! The place is so beautiful! How neat for you guys! We miss you!

Holly said...

Looks like you guys are settled in pretty nicely. How fun to be able to live somewhere new for a few months and experience such neat things?! I've only been to Alabama once, but it was nice, and I wouldn't mind going back. And your apartment looks great, especially considering it's free!

Natalie said...

i love these pictures. i like how curly cam's hair is in alabama bc of the humidity. i love him on his perch looking at the nice views.

i think it looks really fun down there. you guys really are so adventurous! i wish i had a fun new experience like that. looking at this post just makes me want to get married.

the campus is beautiful!i love the architecture and landscape!

Jenae said...

Cameron is getting so big. I am glad you guys are having so much fun. When are you getting back to Provo? We miss you guys!

Melanie said...

Yeah! Thanks for the looky-loo. It IS beautiful there. I think that you guys are lucky, you'll be getting out just in time for the really bad humidity. (august, I believe)

James just got done with his first year of law school today!!! I am so happy to have a hubby again after 3 weeks of single momness. Thus, the reason why I haven't looked at your blog in a while. All I do all day is literally take car of the kids, and sometimes- myself. luvs!

Heidi a.k.a. spaceghost said...

I finally came to see your new digs - it is so roomy! Looks like you have a great location and the state location is perfect for all your weekend trips.