Sunday, June 28, 2009

Old South Cemetery

Saturday we visited a small obscure cemetery from the 19th century. You can see it briefly from the road. It is rarely visited I am sure since no one has been buried there since the 1800's, most of them around the mid 1800's. But it was so romantic and picturesque with the crumbling headstones and giant moss covered trees--the sort of way that makes you glad you're there in daylight. Tyler was able to capture some really neat shots.


Tombstone reads: "Mrs. Ann Love She Fell Asleep in Jesus Oct. 4 A.D. 1858 She lived on earth more than three score years and ten and was a mother in Israel"
Tyler's favorite shot (above)
There were about ten of these small iron markers without anything on them. Slaves maybe? Who knows.

10 comments:

Tyler M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyler M. said...

I believe it is Spanish Moss that is growing all over these trees. These pictures are for my dad who served his mission in the south years ago!!

Kara Lyn said...

I beat mom and commented first. Sweet pics Tyler!!!

Mama said...

cool!

Mama said...

The pictures really are cool. I love cemeteries. When we lived in Poky I loved to walk through the cemetary, daylight hours only.
The pictures take dad back to his mission days in South Carolina.

The Mom said...

I think it is so great that you guys are making the effort to do lots of things while you are there. Very nice shots. Cemetaries make me think of genealogy, of course. Love it!

Katie and Brandon said...

I love old cemeteries. great pictures.

Natalie said...

ah i just want to do a photo shoot here!
good job tyler!
this is a beautiful cemetery.

Ashley said...

Very cool, I love old cemetaries

Holly or James said...

I LOVE the photographs. Tell Tyler he did AWESOME!! (: What a neat place to visit.