Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Common Sense by Glenn Beck

The book is a short read, only about 100 pages followed by the original Common Sense by Thomas Paine, but Common Sense; The Case Against an Out of Control Goverment by Glenn Beck, is an eye opener. Not only does it open your eyes, it moves you to action. It moves you out of complacency and dormancy and forward to your individual stand for freedom and pursuit of true history about our great country.

Beck makes a logical (common sense?), researched, and historically based case against the our government's current practices and where it is leading us as citizens: into bondage. He covers subjects such as the national debt (with staggering and enraging facts and numbers--literally your eyes will pop if your head doesn't first!), political corruption, government spending, creeping Progressivism, gun control, the tax code, the deteriorating morality of our politicians and people, the importance of failure in success, Capitalism, the true nature of liberty, and our role as freedom loving United States citizens. He urges continually to put aside partisan politics--claiming them to be a distraction, a tool used to divide us so that a relative few political elitists may conquer us--and instead devote our energies to the real problem at hand, the very real threat to our and our children's freedom. And here is the real kicker: when you finish the book you don't feel defeated or depressed. Quite the opposite, you feel empowered and hopeful (pending how you decide to proceed, that is!).

Suppose you already agree with everything he says and don't need "convincing"? How about this: Are you informed enough to defend your stance in an educated debate? And what are you personally doing to make a difference? To everyone, but especially to those who feel they have no real "power" to change things: May I suggest that educating yourself and your family and friends with the facts and truth does more good and arms you with more power than you know.

Whatever you may think of Beck, I recommend Common Sense for the politically savvy of any party. My copy is marked up like a text book. In fact, I am willing to lend it. If no one asks to borrow it, well, I am going to be picking someone and asking them to read it!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Glad you liked it! So should I read it? Or will the MP3 do?

Holly or James said...

I think alot of people should read many of the original essays and speeches of our founding fathers. We are not the government they wanted us to be.
-james the shorter

Frazier Family said...

I like Glen Beck a lot. Did you see him do that thing with Jay Lenno? I laughed so hard!

The Mom said...

I will read it. I am reading "Liberty and Tyranny" right now and it is NOT an easy read. I am glad that it is one that motivates and encourages.

Kim and Jim said...

It's next on my reading list. We got a copy from Jim's parents a few months ago and I'm anxious to read it!