Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Shout Out to Tyler's Work Skills

Tyler has been kept very busy at his internship with Sodexo. (I keep reminding him that it is better to have a lot to do than nothing to do ;) ) And I am sure, although he doesn't say and probably doesn't even realize, that he is doing a phenomenal job. Everyone I know of who he has worked for has loved him and basically given him an open invitation to work for them in the future should he need it.

One of his projects he has recently wrapped up was project management of a small home remodel near campus that the university plans to rent out to students, or the CFO's daughter but we won't get into ethics here... Anyway, I love the house, it is adorable and just what I want someday: a small, old cottage with a large amount of quaint charm. In fact, I have already decided exactly how I would set up the house if it were mine and think about it more than I care to admit. Tyler's and my favorite feature are the huge windows all around the house.

Here are some before and after shots. I know he is proud of the job. And I am proud of him.

Some before shots of the kitchen (well, after demo). The house was built in the day when kitchens still had 4 walls.


After shots of the kitchen. Just a basic kitchen since there was a budget to stick to, but much nicer than before.

Through the door in the kitchen (see first before shot of kitchen) there was a rickety add-on for a laundry room. Don't ask me what they did for laundry before.

They had it ripped down and built an entirely new, more sturdy laundry area. They also built this big back porch. Tyler and I weren't fans of how much of the budget went into the deck but it was mandated from above. He also had a privacy fence constructed around the back yard that you can barely see in this picture.

Here is a before shot of the main bathroom. We don't have an after shot, but suffice it to say it looks much better. Tyler had to have it stripped all the way down and have all new appliances (do you call tub, sink, toliet appliances?) and fixtures put in both bathrooms.

Tyler had the whole house fitted for blinds. A shame to cover the adorable windows with regular blinds but it is the most practical solution and the house isn't mine to decorate. (I had to keep reminding myself!) The floors were also all redone with laminate faux wood flooring.

One of the bedrooms (the children's room to be exact, if it were mine). Tyler had the whole inside painted a neutral tan color and the outside pressure cleaned and painted.

Not a part of the remodel but worth mention, the old fireplace is such a neat feature but someone decided it would be a good idea to shove this ugly stove in it. You'd better believe that would come out if it were my house. But I have to remind myself it's not...
"Good job with house daddy!"
Yes, good job Tyler! Now you're ready to do it for us, right?

6 comments:

Rachael said...

Wow Tyler that house looks great! Brady has also been doing some fix-ups but unfortunately ours still looks a little more like the "before" pictures :) Sorry I've been so out of it and haven't kept in touch very well! We are very excited to see you guys in a month!

The Mom said...

That is a darling house! i love it, after Tyler did the remodel. It is awesome! Great job, Tyler!!!! What a lucky group they are down there in Alabama to have Tyler working for them...I KNOW what a great worker he is!

Holly said...

Yes, sadly, it is not your house, but what an exciting thing to look forward to. I can't wait for you to come see my house and help me decorate it. That's great that Tyler is getting all this experience, not only for a job in future, but it can totally help you guys in remodeling a less expensive home for yourselves!!! How neat! GREAT JOB TYLER!!!

Mama said...

Good job Tyler! Yea to Mindy and CamTy for enduring the summer in Alabama!!!

Melanie said...

I was really impressed too. I love that you think that it's yours.. ha!

So I guess the question is, Tyler, do you LIKE doing that?

Holly or James said...

shout out to eating garbage. i mean good job tyler!
-gym